Friday, October 14, 2011

Fleshcrawl - Descend Into The Absurd

I first came across Fleshcrawl with their 2002 album Soulskinner, and it didn't leave a very favorable impression...the only things I can recall from that album were a very cheesy chorus line "Sooullskinner...Skkiiinn Mmmyyyyy SSSooooooouuuulllll" and a misguided cover of a Judas Priest song. Despite my initial dislike of the band, I wanted to check out one of their earlier albums...so I went with their very first, and goddamn this is like a totally different band!! Nothing cheesy about Fleshcrawl anno '92 at all. These dudes were dead serious...emphasis on the "dead" because this is some grim subterraneous material right here. Crushing and plodding, like a panzer tank rolling roughshod over unsuspecting masses...only to be interrupted by machine-gun blasts from the turret. I just love how during the blast sections the drummer highlights each new measure with a little extra ooomph to his blast...a really nice touch!! Truly an underground classick in the spirit of Asphyx, Autopsy, Demigod, Bolt Thrower and all that is old school and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment